Rules & Constitution of The Hereford & District Riding Club.
1. TITLE – The Club shall be known as ‘The Hereford & District Riding Club’.
2. OBJECTS – The objects of the club shall be:- (a) To encourage riding as a sport and recreation; to promote good fellowship amongst riders and to improve and maintain the standard of riding and horsemastership. (b) To organise instructional meetings, lectures and competitive events and other activities deemed to further the Objects. (c) To be affiliated to the British Horse Society and co-operate with recognised organisations interested in the breeding and use of all breeds and types of horses and ponies. (d) To investigate the subject of bridle tracks and rights of way with a view to opening those that have been closed and maintaining and more clearly defining those that are in existence. (e) To concern itself with any object which will benefit the horse and horse user in the district.
3. MEMBERSHIP – This shall consist of persons who have attained the age of eighteen years (and persons aged between 8 and 17 for the junior section) and, having been elected by the Committee, have paid the due subscription for the current period. Honorary membership may be conferred by the Committee upon any persons deemed by them to have rendered notable service to the Club. Junior subscriptions shall be the same as for adult members. All junior members must be accompanied by a responsible adult at all Club events/training sessions.
4. Anyone desirous of becoming a member shall be proposed by a member and seconded by another and his or her name and address forwarded to the Hon. Secretary of the Club on the appropriate Nomination Form.
5. The annual subscription shall be payable on the first day of the Club’s financial year. Any member whose subscription is more than three months in arrears shall have his or her name removed from the Membership list after written notice to the effect has been sent to him or her.
6. The Committee may expel from membership of the Club any member who has wilfully disobeyed any of the rules of the Club or who has, in the opinion of the Committee, been guilty of any conduct derogatory to the character or prejudicial to the interests of the Club, provided that before expelling him/her, the Committee shall call upon him/her for an explanation of his/her conduct and shall hear what he/she may wish to urge in his/her defence.
7 ADMINISTRATION – THE COMMITTEE (a) – All powers of management shall be vested in the adult Committee, consisting of the Chairman, Hon. Secretary, Hon. Treasurer and nine other Committee members, five shall form a Quorum. (b) At the Annual General Meeting each year, one third of the members of the Committee shall retire, the members to retire being those who have been longest in office for the same length of time, the members to retire shall be determined by lot. Retiring members shall be eligible for re-election. (c) The Chairman, Hon. Secretary & Hon. Treasurer shall be elected annually by the Committee from among their number. (d) The decision of the Committee shall be final unless over-ruled at a General Meeting (e) The Committee shall be the sole authority for the interpretation of the rules or for anything relating to the Club not provided therein and their decision shall be final and binding on the members. (f) The Committee may formulate bye-laws for the detailed running of the Club, and elect sub-Committees for any special activities of the Club which the Committee may authorise. (g) The Committee shall have the power to fill any casual vacancy arising among members of the Committee but any person co-opted shall retain office until the next following Annual General Meeting and then shall be eligible for re-election.
8. The financial year of the Club shall commence on 1st October each year.
9. The annual subscription shall be £27.50 (£12 Social Membership) or such other sum as shall from time to time be determined by the Committee.
10. The Committee may appoint annually a President and Vice-President. These shall not by virtue only of such appointment become members of the Committee.
11. The AGM shall be held in the month of December in each year to transact the following business:- (a) To receive and, if approved, to adopt a Statement of the Club’s accounts to the end of the preceding year. (b) To fill vacancies on the Committee. (c) To appoint an auditor. (d) To deal with any special matter which the Committee may desire to bring before the members and to receive Suggestions from the members for consideration by the Committee. Notice convening the General Meeting Shall be sent to members not less than 10 days before the meeting and shall specify the matters to be dealt with.
12. A Special General Meeting may be called by the Committee, or by a request signed by not less than five members, specifying the business to be discussed. The Secretary shall give all members ten days notice of the date of such a meeting and shall specify in such notice matters to be dealt with at such meeting.
13. The Accounts of the Club shall be audited each year by the person appointed at the previous AGM.
14. Notice may be given to any member by sending it by post to him/her to his/her address in the UK registered in the records of the Club. If any member has no address in the UK such member shall not be entitled to receive any notice. The accidental omission to give notice of a meeting to or the non-receipt of a notice of a meeting by any member shall not invalidate the proceedings of that meeting.
15. These rules may be added to, repealed or amended by resolution at any Annual or Special GM, provided that no such resolution shall be deemed to have been passed unless carried by a majority of at least two-thirds of the members present and voting thereon and provided that prior notice has been sent to all members stating the proposed amendment.
16. The Club, its Committee or persons acting on their behalf shall not be held responsible for any accident or injury to any person or property howsoever caused.
17. Members should be correctly turned out at all events. Hard hats bearing the appropriate British & BRC standard should be worn at all times when mounted.
18. At the end of the Financial Year any interest from the Club’s Investment Account will be added to the capital of the said Account in the following January.
19. Legitimate Expenses incurred on the Club’s behalf will be reimbursed on production of an appropriate receipt.